Welcome to SKOP
SKOP brings together Maltese Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) involved in development and relief overseas and/or in the provision of global education (NGDOs). The Maltese National Platform of Maltese Non-Governmental Organisations working in development GDO Platform aims to provide a forum for consultation and co-operation between its members as well as wherever possible to help them speak with a single voice on development issues.
Who is SKOP?
The vision of SKOP is to work towards a just world where basic needs are met, where people are empowered, and where there is equity in the management and distribution of resources and where human rights are respected.
In furtherance of its vision, SKOP aims:
- To promote the just interests of the peoples of the Majority world in key areas of Maltese and European policy;
- To promote the achievement of the United Nations’ target of 0.7% of GNP for Maltese official development aid.
- To promote, through development and global education, an understanding of the causes and a commitment to correcting, the effects of social and economic inequalities.
- To provide a forum for member organizations to consult, cooperate, to share information, ideas and experiences.
- To represent the Maltese NGDOs and advocate on their behalf with relevant authorities in Malta.
The Platform was set up in October 2000 on the initiative of Kopin (Koperazzjoni Internazzjonali – Malta), with the aim of bringing together all NGOs operating in the sector of international development cooperation and humanitarian aid.
SKOP is an autonomous, non-profit and voluntary organization based in Malta at the moment representing 26 member organizations.
SKOP is enrolled with the Office of the Commissioner for Voluntary Organisations, registration number VO/0366.