SKOP is Malta’s National Platform of Development NGOs. Set up in the year 2001, the Platform brings together Maltese Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) involved in development and relief overseas and/or in the provision of global education – hereinafter referred to as Non-Governmental Development Organisations (NGDOs).
Together with its members, the Platform works towards a just world where basic needs of all are met, where people are empowered, where there is equity in the management and distribution of resources and where human rights are respected.
SKOP has a membership of presently 29 Maltese organisations that engage in activities ranging from overseas development projects to development education, volunteering, advocacy, research and refugee support.
The Platform offers capacity building opportunities to its members, provides a forum for consultation and co-operation between its membership and facilitates their individual and united advocacy on development issues, social justice, human rights and equality.
In furtherance of its vision, SKOP aims to:
- promote the just interests of the peoples of the Majority World in key areas of Maltese and European policy;
- promote the achievement of the United Nations’ target of 0.7% of GNP for Maltese official development aid;
- contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals and the Agenda 2030;
- promote, through development and global education, an understanding of the causes and a commitment to correcting, the effects of social and economic inequalities;
- provide a forum for its member organisations to consult, cooperate, to share information, ideas and experiences;
- represent the Maltese NGDOs and advocate on their behalf with relevant authorities in Malta.
SKOP’s Statute can be downloaded here.
SKOP is registered in Malta under the 2007 Voluntary Organisations Act (VO ID No – VO/0366). For further information, kindly contact us or join us on Facebook and Twitter.